If you suffer from sleep apnea in Owasso, OK, you may be experiencing some unpleasant symptoms. Sleep apnea affects the quality of your nightly sleep and can also showcase symptoms affecting many other parts of your body and daily life. Here are some common Owasso sleep apnea symptoms that indicate you should speak to a sleep apnea dentist in Owasso:
- Choking or gasping while asleep – these are tell-tale signs of a sleep disorder. The airway blockage that occurs while you sleep prevents enough oxygen from passing through. Your brain will wake you to continue breathing, but this doesn’t make for a good night’s rest. Your sleep will be constantly disrupted throughout the night due to this symptom.
- Daytime sleepiness – more severe than grogginess, this level of sleepiness can affect your daily life and make it difficult to do everyday tasks, such as driving a car. You may find it hard to go to work or to do simple tasks like making the bed or doing the dishes.
- Dry mouth upon waking up – caused by the decreased flow of saliva as you sleep. This is a lesser-known symptom of Owasso sleep apnea.
- Frequent urination – this can be caused by stress on the bladder due to low oxygen levels, as well as disruption to the hormones that are responsible for urine production.
- Headaches – the blood vessels near and in the head dilate due to an increased level of carbon monoxide. This increase in the size of the blood vessels around your head can lead to headaches, some of which can be severe.
- Mood swings/irritability – due to lack of sleep and simply overall tiredness. Sleep apnea will wake you throughout the night, leading to a lack of good-quality rest. This can cause you to become easily irritated or agitated when you otherwise wouldn’t be if you could sleep well.
- Snoring – your airway narrows, preventing oxygen from coming through. This airway blockage results in snoring.
- Trouble concentrating – another symptom due to lack of sleep. Enough sleep is vital for the brain to function as it should. Sleep apnea prevents you from getting enough sleep, which can lead to cognitive issues when you are awake.
- Witnessed apnea episodes – if you have a partner that sleeps in the same bed as you, they may have been the one to point out your snoring, gasping, or choking while you sleep. If your partner is having trouble sleeping due to your sleep apnea symptoms, it’s time to speak to an Owasso sleep apnea dentist.
What Are The Risk Factors for Developing Sleep Apnea?
If you are starting to experience any of the above Owasso sleep apnea symptoms, you may wonder if you are at increased risk of developing this serious sleep disorder. Numerous factors may increase your risk of developing sleep apnea:
- A narrow throat – you may have been born with a more narrow airway, which makes you more prone to sleep apnea.
- Being overweight – carrying excess weight can cause fat deposits to form around your upper airway and obstruct your breathing.
- Being male – men are 2 to 3 times more likely to experience sleep apnea than women.
- Older in age – sleep apnea is more likely to occur in older individuals.
- Use of alcohol – drinking alcohol relaxes your throat muscles, which can make sleep apnea more apparent.
Although these risk factors can increase your chances of developing sleep apnea, you can still develop this sleep disorder without checking any of these boxes. If left untreated, sleep apnea can increase your risk of other serious health conditions, so it is imperative to speak to the best sleep apnea dentist in Owasso for a professional diagnosis.
Resolve Your Owasso Sleep Apnea Symptoms
If you are experiencing any of these obstructive sleep apnea symptoms and can’t find relief, it’s time to talk to your sleep apnea dentist, Dr. Lim, about your sleep apnea treatment options in Owasso, OK. Dr. Lim will thoroughly evaluate your condition and suggest the best Owassa sleep apnea treatment based on your individual needs. You don’t have to lose any more sleep – the best sleep apnea dentist in Owasso is here to help!