Dental implants are an excellent tooth root replacement because they mimic the look and function of your natural tooth. Millions of Americans suffer tooth loss each year, and it’s not just a problem that older people face. Tooth loss can happen as a result of tooth decay, periodontal disease, an accident, or a blow to the face. There are even genetic disorders that affect the health of your teeth. Regardless of the reason you’ve lost one or more teeth, an Owasso, Oklahoma implant dentist can restore your smile, which, in turn, will restore you self-confidence.
The Dental Implant Procedure
Your implant dentist will perform a thorough evaluation of your mouth, teeth, and gums using the most advanced dental technology available today. While the dental implant process takes several months due to the fact that the implant has to fuse to the existing jawbone in a process known as “osseointegration,” the end result is astounding.
Dental implants are made of titanium and other materials that fuse with your jawbone and imitate the root of a tooth. The titanium posts resemble screws, and with traditional implants, several of these posts are necessary. There is a newer type of dental implant available, the All-On-4® dental implant that only requires four posts.
The artificial root allows your Owasso, Oklahoma implant dentist to secure your replacement teeth, so the implants feel stable and blend in with your surrounding teeth. Getting dental implants requires a time commitment and a strict adherence to your dentist’s post-implant placement instructions. If you are in good health, don’t smoke, follow post-surgery instructions, take good care of your teeth at home, and attend all of your follow-up visits, your dental implants will improve your quality of life and let you enjoy all the foods you love. If, for some reason, you’re not a great candidate for dental implants, then other options will be discussed.
After the implants are placed, you may experience some bruising, swelling, minor bleeding, and some pain. Your implant dentist will advise you on how to deal with all the post-op issues to promote quicker healing. Many patients require nothing more than ibuprofen to manage their pain, and with a soft food diet, you’ll find it quite easy to cope with the post-op challenges of dental implants.
Benefits of Dental Implants
The benefits of dental implants in Owasso, OK are numerous:
- Dental implants look and function just like natural teeth
- They can last a lifetime if well maintained
- They prevent bone loss because a dental implant replaces the root as well as the tooth; chewing is restored to normal providing the stimulation necessary for natural bone growth.
- Dental implants may help prevent gum disease because the holes caused by tooth loss allow food to get trapped and bacteria to grow.
- Dental implants prevent facial sagging and that sunken-in look missing teeth causes. People with tooth loss often look much older than their actual age due to tooth loss’ effect on the mouth and face.
- Dental implants restore bite force; other tooth replacement options (including dentures) do not restore nearly as much of your bite force because they sit on top of the gums and aren’t anchored in place like dental implants.
- Dental implants allow you to speak naturally, eat the foods you enjoy, and require the same cleaning as your natural teeth.
- Dental implants can’t get cavities because the material used to make dental implants is not susceptible to decay.
Learn More About Dental Implants in Owasso, Oklahoma
Dr. Heng Lim has devoted his entire career to continuing his education to stay on the cutting edge of all that implant dentistry has to offer. His membership in numerous professional organizations and his devotion to holistic dentistry ensures the best possible care for his patients.
Whether you need a general dentist, a cosmetic dentist, a restorative dentist, a neuromuscular dentist, or an implant dentist, Dr. Heng Lim, serving Owasso and surrounding areas, stands ready to serve you.
Please contact Life Smiles of Owasso at (918) 274-3779, or fill out our online contact form so one of our dental team members can reach out to answer questions or schedule a new patient evaluation. With so many exciting tooth replacement options like traditional dental implants and All-On-4 Dental Implants®, there’s no need to suffer the embarrassment of tooth loss one more day.